27 novembre 2012
Dolphin 2.2 su KDE 4.10 Beta, scopriamo le novità
Etichette: Dolphin, Gestione file, Informatica, KDE, KDE 4.10, Mondo Linux
- Àlex Fiestas added support for MTP devices (like phones) to the Places Panel, making use of Philipp Schmidt’s MTP kioslave. Check if your distribution provides packages for kio-mtp if you want to try it. I’m quite happy that I can finally transfer files to and from my phone easily in KDE (if you wonder why it shows up twice in the panel: that’s because the phone’s internal memory and the SD card are separate devices). See Àlex’ blog post (which also provides information about building kio-mtp yourself) and the review request for more information.
- Amandeep Singh, assisted by Frederik Gladhorn, implemented accessibility features in Dolphin. Now you can have the current item shown zoomed in KMag.
- Some people missed an easy way to resize the icons in the Places Panel in KDE 4.9. For those who didn’t know: Dophin’s Places Panel had been rewritten, and the automatic resizing of the icons when the panel was resized (or in some other situations, like when a ‘Place’ with a long name was created or removed) was dropped. We now have an ‘Icon Size’ submenu in the panel’s context menu, just like in the tool bar. I think that this is the best solution: users who want bigger icons can just choose their favourite size.
- Dolphin 1.x provided two different ways to rename files: ‘inline renaming’ and renaming using a dialog. This changed some time ago due to the view engine rewrite. In KDE 4.8, inline renaming was not ready yet. In KDE 4.9, it replaced the dialog completely (except for the case that multiple files are renamed at the same time), but some people actually got used to the dialog and missed it. In KDE 4.10, you will be able to choose again. Emmanuel Pescosta added a checkbox to the settings dialog.
- Ivan Čukić made it possible to report the current directory to the activity manager, such that it can easily tell what your most favourite directories are. You can disable this in the System Settings, ‘Workspace Behavior’ if you don’t want the activity manager to keep a log of your directories and documents.
Emmanuel Pescosta worked hard to make Dolphin faster:
- The part of Dolphin that keeps track of the previews that need to be generated did not handle its internal data structures in the most efficient way. Look at the review request for details and for the impressive Callgrind data.
- Loading a folder with many files can be very slow. It turns out that much of this slowness is due to the “natural sorting” of the items, which makes sure that “image10.jpg” comes after “image9.jpg”, and not between “image1.jpg” and “image2.jpg”. There have been some ideas how the “natural comparison” of two file names can be made faster, but this requires a lot of work. In KDE 4.10, we still use the old comparison function, but make use of all CPU cores on your system to keep the delay when opening a large directory short. Look at the final version of the patch to see how little code you need to make Mergesort use multiple threads with QtConcurrent!
- The icons which are shown for files and folders if previews are disabled are now cached to save CPU cycles and memory.
- Panos Kanavos improved the ‘More Options’/'Less Options’ button in the ‘Search’ bar and added some text to make it more obvious what the button is about.
- If “Open folders during drag operations” is enabled, you can now drag items to an entry in the Places Panel. If you keep the mouse buggon pressed and wait a bit, the URL will be opened in the view.
- The ‘Recently Accessed’ entries in the Places Panel now have individual icons thanks to Weng Xuetian. Note that you might not see those new icons unless you create a new user or you remove the ‘timeline’ entries from .kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml manually (As far as I know, there is no good way to change this automatically without deleting any custom icons that users might have chosen. If you do not see any icons at all for these entries, this is because Dolphin in earlier KDE 4.9.x versions unfortunately used an icon that was not available for all distros).
- The parts of Dolphin that interact with Nepomuk have now been ported to Nepomuk 2.
- Middle-clicking a directory in one of the panels now loads it in a background tab to be more consistent with other parts of Dolphin where directories can be middle-clicked.
- Ctrl+L now selects the URL in the location bar, like in web browsers. If you only want to focus the location bar, you can use F6 (the effect of these shortcuts has just been exchanged).
- Clicking ‘Cancel’ in an authentication dialog now causes an error message to be shown in Dolphin, rather than an endless ‘Loading folder…’ message.
Quest' opera è distribuita con licenza Creative Commons Attribuzione - Non commerciale - Non opere derivate 3.0 Unported. Questo blog non rappresenta una testata giornalistica, in quanto viene aggiornato senza alcuna periodicità. Non può, pertanto, considerarsi un prodotto editoriale, ai sensi della legge n. 62 del 7/03/2001 Disclaimer immagini
Le immagini utilizzate in questo blog appartengono ai loro rispettivi autori e sono utilizzati per scopi educativi, personali e senza scopo di lucro. Ogni eventuale violazione del copyright non è intenzionale, ma se si riconosce un'immagine protetta da copyright, fatemelo sapere qui, e sarò lieto di aggiungere i credits o modificarla o rimuoverla.Disclaimer images
Images used on this blog belong to their respective authors and are used for educational, personal and no profit purposes. Any eventual copyright infringement is not intentional, but if you recognize a copyrighted image, please let me know here, and I'll happily provide to add the right credits or modify or remove it.